Narrations...

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Se(a)ttling with fun in US

After coming to US last August, I have had so much fun settling in Seattle. Soaking in a totally different culture, the people, the way of life etc - all of these new experiences are adding color to my life :) Today I realized that one thing that I'm not doing frequently after coming here is - blogging! May be there is too much to blog that, the very thought makes me tired and bored of writing one! So I thought it would be a good refresh to my blogging interest if I did a quick run over the new colors added to my life in US ( There is one more interesting reason for this blog post.. read on till the end to know ! :) )

* First of all, the basics... Food and Stay - Rams, Anto and myself stay together in a nice place very close to office. Its been an extended hostel life for us from college to Hyderabad to here... movies, games, jokes and all the fun. We still laugh at silliest jokes and Anto never stops to provide us with a situation to crack a joke :). The best thing is the Foooood. We learnt a lot new things in cooking and with the availability of fresh vegetables, Indian groceries etc we relish home cooked food. In fact at times we feel that we are having nutritious food here compared to when we were in India. And there are zillions of good places to eat out here. My favorites and frequented places are CanAm Pizzas, Taco Bell for Burritos and Chalupas, Mayuri for Idly Manchurian and Bisibela bath, Spice Route for Adai Avial :) . Contrary to the popular opinion that vegetarians find it difficult in US, we had no issues so far :D

* Dharini.... Any guess who this is;) .... She is a sweet girl... She is the light of my way... I follow her and I love her !!! ..... OK dont let ur imagination go wild... She is this sweet girl who is in the Acura Navigation system in my car :D ... GPS, Maps, Navigation system all these are just fictional terms in Indian traffic. But here, most vehicles on road run on this. Its total fun driving car here, exploring unknown places, long drives etc. Thank you Dharini for showing me the way ! ( For those wondering why did I name her Dharini... 2 reasons... 1. I like that name and 2. 'dhari' in telugu means 'Way' ! )

* Hip Hop !!! Thanks to KUBE93 FM this genre of music got added to my taste and am listening more and more of Hip Hop songs now. T-Pain is my favorite. Oh my God, when am driving my car, its T-Pain who will be driving me crazy ! I have never been a fan of English songs... but its been good fun listening to this chaotic yet ecstatic music. 'Bartender' and 'Baby Dont go' top my chart now !

* Texas Hold'Em Poker - Got introduced to this by one of my friends here and got addicted to this from then :). I also got this on my laptop :) (One of the extras for Vista Ultimate users :) ) . We just play for fun with fake money chips and this is so addictive. Especially when you win a few hands this game will drag you in. So when you are just gambling with the fake money you got nothing to lose but you get all the excitement and fun of bringing Vegas home :D

* F.R.I.E.N.D.S and Prison Break... the two great TV serials I fell in love with. Started watching Friends only after coming here and now I have seen all the 10 seasons. What a characterization of each of the Friends ! I thoroughly enjoy this greatest serial of US Television history. And coming to Prison Break, the season 3 is still going on in FOX TV and I must say that the director of this show should be some crazy, smart, out-of-this-world guy ! Scene by scene, dialogue by dialogue this show keeps you nail-biting on the edge of the seat. Gripping screenplay at its helm !!!

* American Football () I had no idea about this game before coming here. I was never a big game/sports fan anyway... But just to see the excitement of Americans over this heavily-intense, strategy game is actually the game for me. This weekend is the Super Bowl where the New England Patriots are taking on New York Giants. All hopes over the most-popular American sportsperson, Tom Brady ( the Patriots' quarterback) to bring home the trophy. Even if you dont understand the game, have a look at this play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eth7DiPmNp0 - Its the most famous Tom Brady Statue of Liberty Play action. The Sports section of my morning 'Seattle Times' is feeding me the interesting news from this arena . I had hopes on the Seattle Seahawks to reach the Super Bowl this time, but tough luck snowed over them during their playoff match against Green Bay Packers

* And Barack Obama... the agile, young and smart player of the game of politics in US. Even when I cannot vote for the next president of US, I want to be part of this Obama wave in the country. Been following him since his victory at the Iowa causus and can't wait to know the results on Super Tuesday this Feb 5th. Lets see if he can make it up all the way to the White House this time.

Now, coming back to the other reason for this blog... I wanted to finish my homework before I sit for my 'Culture, Communication and English-as-Second-Language' class tomorrow evening with Tracy Stober !! Yeah it's been a nice experience with these classes till now and Tracy and I talk about the American culture, the Business etiquettes, English as spoken and understood by the Americans etc. And at times I explain her about the richness of Indian culture and the beauty of Indian languages !

So.. these are the few things which peps up my stay here. Be a Roman in Rome, Be a Seattlite in Seattle and Be Yourself always - this works for me and am glad about it !

7 Comments:

  • :D

    By Blogger A.J.Anto, at 3:53 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger tree, at 4:10 PM  

  • Total! [8)]

    I am sad about Eliza though! [:P] [:D]

    By Blogger tree, at 4:11 PM  

  • konja paeru ipdidhaan neraya paeru comment adipaanga [:d]

    By Blogger Rams, at 4:47 PM  

  • Scene da Naresh :) Can't wait to meet you guys...

    By Blogger Arvind Sharma, at 7:13 PM  

  • Hey Naresh,

    Nice writeup! Life is more sophisticated in US. I was really amazed with Google Maps,GPS etc..But when we sit back and think we feel that this is not our place and our roots are back home!!

    How many times do you feel oh god how nice will it be back home lying on my mom's lap,playing pranks with siblings nd father!!

    Dying to go back right now :(

    Smiles
    Ramya Ramani

    By Anonymous Ramya, at 4:10 PM  

  • Dropping by after a long time. Nice post; brought back memories of my own first brush with new things.

    And Dharini! What a nice name to give to a GPS system. Awesome. I was thinking of Tom Hanks in Castaway naming the ball Wilson.

    By Anonymous Vijay Krishna Narayanan, at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home